In early times, the place now known as NAGA was abundant with trees locally called "Narra". The first settlers named the place "Narra" (derived from the narra trees) and named it in later years to what it is now - NAGA.
Considered as one of the oldest settlements in the Province of Cebu, Naga became a municipality on June 12, 1829 and has gone through a series of reclassification simultaneous with its healthy economic development as its grows.
The tranquil farming and fishing villages of the natives were raised to a fuss when the Spaniards arrived and explored the coal mining in upland barangays. Coal then became the first export product of the town, as the Spaniards mined and sent them to Spain. Second to coal was cement product.
The mining industry undeniably triggered the successful industrial development of Naga. As the years progressed, quite a number of manufacturing companies and other industries flourished in the place and eventually makes Naga as one of the industrialized locality in Cebu at present.
NAGA has gained its new status from 1st class municipality into a component city in the First District of Cebu by virtue of R.A. 9194 which was ratified through a plebiscite on September 02, 2007 under the sponsorship of Congressman Eduardo R. Gullas, now respected as the "Father of the City of Naga, Cebu."