1000 AD to 1200 AD KNOWN AS PORCELAIN AGE
China trading began extensively with Arabia, India, Annan, and later with the Europeans. Porcelains from different Chinese dynasties were imported. These ceramic vessels were important commodities in the extensive East and Southeast Asian maritime trade routes of the second millennium A.D. Merchants moved these as containers and as objects exchange in their own right. Originating from multiple locations in China and mainland Asia and through complex mercantile and political distribution networks, the artifacts found their way to consumers on Mainland and Island Southeast Asia. As well as to South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, Europe, and by the sixteenth century New Word. A section of Asian trade wares - a large, brown-glazed stone-ware storage jars - were recovered in the archaeological research in the Philippines in the early decades of the twentieth, century. Ten burials were excavated from a site in Tina-an, Naga by Carl Eugen Guthe (1973-1974) of the University of Michigan in 1922 to 1925/ These are now part of the Guthe or Philippine expedition Collection of the University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology (UMMA).
Ferdinand Magellan and his fleet arrived in Cebu, an event that signaled the start of over 300 years of Spanish rule of the whole country. By this time, the two barangays Tuluyan and Tinaan were known as flourishing fishing village some 20 kilometers south of Magellan’s landing site. Tinaan was also a center for dyeing.
Under the reduction policy of the Spanish rulers, Tuluyan (now known as Tuyan) and Tinaan were grouped into one community with the Sitio of Naga, located at the center. While records at the Archdiocesse of Manila listed this as the formation of pueblo, most likely, this was the date the Spanish friars of the San Nicholas parish formed the visita of Naga. Naga was placed under the jurisdiction of a cabeza de barangay.
The discovery of coal in Cebu focused attention on Naga as coal deposits were found in Barangays Uling and Alpaco along with Compostela, Danao, San Nicolas, Talisay, San Fernando, and Consolacion. While initial interest in Cebu's coal was only of scientific nature for more than a decade, the purchase of steamships in 1842 stirred government attention. Both Spanish authorities in Manila and private prospectors arrived in Naga to explore the deposits in the following decades. Thus began the coal mining industry in Naga town.
June 12, 1829
Naga became an independent parish with San Francisco de Asis as patron. Present day Nagahanhons also consider this day as the formation of the town or pueblo.
Fray Simon Aguirre, the first parish priest, constructed with native artisans the Church along the main road at the Poblacion located between Tinaan and Tuluyan in 1839, using coral stones and local hardwood. The structure was finished in 1852.
The municipality of Naga was officially recognized.
The end of the galleon trade and opening of Manila to international trade in 1834 triggered the transformation of the countryside especially to Cebu. From mainly subsistence agriculture, the planting of export crops like sugar in lands including Naga brought relative prosperity and gradually changed centuries-old alnd ownershio patterns and relationships. During this time, prominent commerciantes from Cebu City and Manila like Doña Fausta Regis, Don Pablo Mejia, and Juan Chino Chiong brought lands in Naga.
APRIL 3, 1898
Cebuanos headed by the charismatic Katipunan leader Leon Kilat rose in arms against the Spanish rulers. Don Licerio Canonigo, the gobernadorcillo o Naga, led Naganhons into the streets. However, the pro-Spanish commandante de batallonof Naga Pedro De Gracia however faced the Naga Insurgents in a tense standoff.
DECEMBER 24, 1898
After the defeat of the Spaniards at the hands of Cebuano insurgents, the Spanish Flag was initially lowered at Fort San Pedro. The symbolic act ended 333 years of Spanish rule in Cebu. General Adolfo Montero turned over the "baston demand" to the caretaker governor Pablo Mejia. The Spanish mestizo of Naga became independent Cebu's first governor.
December 29, 1898
During the Te Deum officiated by Bishop Martin Garcia Alcocer at the Cebu Cathedral, Don Pablo Mejia of Naga formally turned over the reins of government of Cebu to Gen. Luis Flores. The Philippine Flag was raised at Fort San Pedro.
February 21, 1898
The American gunboat Petrel appeared at the Cebu harbor signaling the arrival of American colonialism in ertswhile independent Cebu.
June 11, 1899
An insurgent assassin stabbed Don Pablo Mejia who was perceived to be a key official in the pro-American provincial government headed by President Luis Flores. Mejia died the next day. The militants had formed a rival provincial government of the Philippine Republic headed by Juan Climaco and Arcadio Maxilom in Pardo. The assassination broke the uneasy peace in Cebu and trigerred hostilities between the Cebuano insurgents and the American military.
August 28, 1899
General Leoncioi Alfon from Naga town led his artillery as they succesfully waylaid the main American force that attacked the insurgents headquarters in Sudlon. General Arcadio Maxilom, in a report to the general staff in Luzon, recognized Alfons's role during this major encounter during the Philippine-American War.
The son of the slain Pablo Mejia, Mayor Teofilo Mejia of Naga town, organized pro-Americans residents of Naga known as Nagaueño Macabebes that actively helped the Americans forces as guides and militias.
August 16, 1900
With the town elite's support of American rule, Naga by now populated by some 12,000 people, became one of the first nine municipalities organized under General Order No. 40 with the election of the new set of town officials conducted on August 16, 1900. Victor Bartido, a commerciante, became the first municipal president elected during the American regime. The impact of the American pacification policies in Naga and the reaction of the elite reflected a general pattern not only in the province but also in the whole archipelago.
Naganhon insurgent General Leoncio Alfon was captured in Danao. He was brough to trial before the Cebu Court of First Instance on September 7, 1901. After his conviction, Alfon escaped from Fort San Pedro and fled to Leyte. Unfortunately, he met a typhoon on his way to join the rebels in Samar and was never seen.
The Americans deemed it timely to build the only cement plant in the country on March 1921. American businessman C.F. Massey negotiated a contract with the Philippine government to build a cement plant in Naga, Cebu. In August 23, 1923, the plant was ready to operate although actual production of cement began on October 1, 1923. From October to December 1923, the plant producd 37, 557 barrels of cement. (the cement plant is now Cemex Apo Cement Plant)
The mighty Japanese Armada attacked the Philippines. After securing Luzon, the Japanese landed in Cebu on April 9, 1942. They later made Naga a stronghold because of the cement plant and coal mines. ( Sitio Suton, Brgy Pangdan was once a Japanese garrison under a high-ranking Japanese officer)
March 26, 1945
The America Forces landed in Cebu to retake the island from the Japanese. Despite the intense American bombings that leveled Cebu City and Naga, the local population cheered at the news that Gen. Douglas MacArthur finally returned.
October 31, 1945
The American Army in the Philippines resumed operations of the Cebu Portland Cement Company (CEPOC) now Apo Cemex Cement Plant.
July 4, 1946
The Americans granted independence to the Philippines ushering the birth of the Third Philippine Republic. Manuel Roxas later became the first Philippine president.